BASIC / ADVANCED ECG
This classroom-based, instructor-led course is designed to improve electrocardiogram (ECG) recognition skills and pharmacology knowledge for treating cardiovascular emergencies.
Students, at the end of this course, are expected to:
- Explain heart anatomy and basic electrophysiology
- Explain normal ECG measurements
- Recognize and understand basic arrhythmias
- Identify – on a monitor and paper tracing – rhythms associated with bradycardia, tachycardia with adequate perfusion, tachycardia with poor perfusion, and pulseless arrest, including but not limited to:
- Normal sinus rhythm
- Sinus bradycardia
- Type I second-degree AV block
- Type II second-degree AV block
- Third-degree AV block
- Sinus tachycardia
Course certification requires successful passing of written exam and correct interpretation of ECG algorithms. Certification is valid for 2 years.