This course designed for nurse and qualified healthcare providers covers the proper procedures for venipuncture, or using a needle to find a vein and collect blood samples. Students are also expected to learn about safe practices for handling blood and the health risks of blood-borne diseases.
At the end of the course, students are expected to be able to:
- Understand the importance of phlebotomy and the role of the phlebotomist in the health care setting
- Know the ethical and legal aspects of the phlebotomist
- Describe and apply knowledge of anatomy and physiology of the venous system for pediatric and neonatal patients while collecting blood specimen
- Demonstrate the ability to successfully perform blood collections for testing on veins using straight needles, lancets, butterfly set-ups, syringes and other techniques
- Understand and demonstrate knowledge of infection control and safety measures applicable to phlebotomy
- Understand the role of quality assurance and quality control in phlebotomy
Course certification requires successful demonstration of blood extraction. International certification is valid for 2 years.